The mission of the Manatee LGBTA Democratic Caucus is to stimulate active interest in political and governmental affairs; to strengthen and to further the ideals and principles of the Democratic Party; to provide reasonable and ongoing financial support to the Democratic Party organizations; to promote participation among Democrats; to support and elect the duly selected nominees of the Democratic Party in national, state, and local campaigns; and to promote good will between lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and allied (LGBTA) members of the Democratic Party and the community at large.
- Promote the ideals of the Democratic Party.
- Cultivate and campaign for candidates from the LGBT community and those who support our community.
- Lobby for legislation and policies that recognize and strengthen our community.
- Encourage voter registration and advocate issues without discrimination on grounds of race, color, creed, sex, age, national origin, physical disability, gender identity or sexual orientation.
- To perform outreach to the LGBT community on behalf of the Democratic Party.
- Enact the Uniting American Families Act (UAF)
- Repeal the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and enact relationship recognition for all families.
- Enact a comprehensive Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA).
Florida Statewide Issues
- Continue to defend adoption rights in Florida.
- Seek the enactment of comprehensive human rights legislation providing basic civil rights anti-discrimination provisions for all LGBT people in Florida in employment, housing, and public accommodations.
- Ensure HIV/AIDS educational requirements.
- In the absence of complete federal or statewide civil rights anti-discrimination provision, see the enactment of a countywide human rights ordinance (HRO) to prohibit discrimination in employment, housing, or public accommodations based on sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military status, or veteran status.
Officers and members of the Caucus Board of Directors are elected for two-year terms. Elections are held in February of odd-numbered years.
Caucus Officers and Board of Directors
(all terms are to 2017)
- President: Steve Ryan
- Vice President for Operations: Open
- Vice President for Membership and Programs: Randall Coleman
- Secretary: Shaun Lehoe
- Treasurer: Kathryn Brightbill
- Additional Board Members:
Mailing AddressManatee LGBTA Democratic Caucus P.O. Box 1246 Bradenton, FL 34206