The Manatee LGBTA Democratic Caucus meets monthly for a social event, on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 6:00 p.m.
The vision of the Manatee LGBTA Democratic Caucus is for Democrats to be elected to effectively lead and serve the nation, state, county, and local communities where every person who is lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or any other sexual orientation or gender non-conforming minority (hereinafter, “LGBTQ+”) has full equal rights, liberties, freedoms, opportunities, and inclusivity without discrimination and can be open, honest, and safe at home, at work, in the community, and in public.
The mission of the Manatee LGBTA Democratic Caucus is to promote Democratic Party and LGBTQ+ electoral, civic, and public policy objectives, to make endorsements specific to Manatee County, and to serve as a beacon for and resource on LGBTQ+ issues for members of the Democratic Party and residents of Manatee County.
- Enact the Uniting American Families Act (UAF)
- Repeal the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and enact relationship recognition for all families.
- Enact a comprehensive Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA).
Florida Statewide Issues
- Continue to defend adoption rights in Florida.
- Seek the enactment of comprehensive human rights legislation providing basic civil rights anti-discrimination provisions for all LGBT people in Florida in employment, housing, and public accommodations.
- Ensure HIV/AIDS educational requirements.
- In the absence of complete federal or statewide civil rights anti-discrimination provision, see the enactment of a countywide human rights ordinance (HRO) to prohibit discrimination in employment, housing, or public accommodations based on sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military status, or veteran status.