The Manatee LGBTA Democratic Caucus meets monthly for a social event, on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 6:00 p.m.
- To foster a spirit of understanding of issues of interest to the extended community of sexual orientation and gender non-conforming minorities;
- To promote the candidacy of Democrats specifically committed to the principle that no natural person shall be deprived of equal rights based on sexual orientation or gender identity and expression and to encourage the passage of legislation and other measures to secure such rights;
- To ensure inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and other sexual minority (hereinafter, “LGBT”) Democrats throughout and at all levels of the Democratic Party;
- To support and elect duly selected nominees of the Democratic Party in national, state and local campaigns who are not opposed to the equal rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender persons;
- To stimulate active interest in political and governmental affairs, including outreach to other registered and not-yet registered voters who may share our values;
- To strengthen and to further the ideals and principles of the Democratic Party;
- To provide reasonable and ongoing financial support to the Caucus, and to Democratic Party organizations;
- To promote participation among Democrats;
- To promote participation among Democrats; to support and elect the duly selected nominees of the Democratic Party in national, state, and local campaigns;
- To encourage voter registration, mobilization, and civic engagement by educating and advocating for issues without discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, age, national origin, physical disability, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation; and
- To promote goodwill between and to help foster a sense of community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and allied members of the Democratic Party and the community at large.
- Enact the Uniting American Families Act (UAF)
- Repeal the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and enact relationship recognition for all families.
- Enact a comprehensive Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA).
Florida Statewide Issues
- Continue to defend adoption rights in Florida.
- Seek the enactment of comprehensive human rights legislation providing basic civil rights anti-discrimination provisions for all LGBT people in Florida in employment, housing, and public accommodations.
- Ensure HIV/AIDS educational requirements.
- In the absence of complete federal or statewide civil rights anti-discrimination provision, see the enactment of a countywide human rights ordinance (HRO) to prohibit discrimination in employment, housing, or public accommodations based on sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military status, or veteran status.